November 13, 2009

Going outside to go potty, a little blond haired boy saw me and turned around to come back to see me. I was so excited because he was so cute! Mamaw picked me up because I was just squirming so much it sort of frightened the boy. Then he got to pet me and I wanted down so much but she held right on to me. Then the little boy said, “I gotta go to school,” so she let me down. I wagged my tail and barked a couple of times but he went on down the street to the elementary school.

I’ve been itching so bad Mamaw prepared a half-bath for me in the sink this morning. I rather enjoyed the warm water! Poppy put some of my shampoo in her hand and she lathered my lower body. It felt so good and she was so gentle—telling me how much she loved me as she worked to bathe me. Then here came Poppy with a big pink towel and they wrapped me up in that and Mamaw put me on the floor and played with me as she tried to air dry me. I sit at the bathroom door and watch her do her hair and use the hair dryer but I’m not brave enough to let her use it on me yet. She doesn’t want to spoil the fact that I don’t fight her over the bath so we air dry.

Today I got a long ride in Mamaw’s car. I cried and cried but she kept telling me it was alright. When we stopped, I got out at a strange place and I was afraid. I ran between Mamaw’s legs and shook. Mamaw was so nice, she kept telling me everything was just fine. Then we went up to this brick house. I wouldn’t go up the stairs so she picked me up and took me in. She kept the leash attached to my collar all of the time. In the house, in a kennel, was a BIG DOG! It was like me though so I knew she was a cocker. Deb let her out of the kennel and she just went crazy. I’m trying to get along in a strange environment but didn’t understand everything that was happening. Finally, the big dog, Tess is her name, started smelling me and I smelled her. She was pretty possessive and warned me that this was her turf. How could I forget? She kept letting me know when she thought I had over-stepped my boundaries. All in all, okay I guess. Now the cat--that was a different story. I liked the cat. His name is Stitch. We are both about the same size so I was able to get on the same level with her. The one cat, Selena, never showed her face. We stayed an hour and it was time to go.

I didn’t want to get back in the kennel in the car—but Mamaw forced me. We drove a little bit and she stopped the car again. There was no way I was climbing out of my kennel. I’ve had enough strange stuff happening today I need to stay where I feel safe. Mamaw hauled me out! Just like that, I was on the ground and a dog was barking at me. This time it was Dodi and Max-a-Million Schnitzel Von Wiener who will turn two years old on Valentine’s Day. Now Max is a wiener dog and thinks he owns the joint! Well, with a name like that, wouldn’t you? It took him a long time to get close enough to me that we could exchange smells. His little legs are so short but he moves damned fast, I can tell you that right now! I felt pretty uncomfortable so we stayed outside for a while. After things seemed to settle a little we went in the house—both Max and I were still leashed. We sat in the living room within touching distance but we were free to move it we felt threatened. That damned Max never did feel threatened, the turd!

At this house, they have three cats and they are all bigger than me. Patrick Star is 7 years old and would at least come close to me. His hair stood straight up on her back but we managed to get along. He knew I was leashed so he stayed just out of my reach. I liked him. He carries himself like he is a King or something, the gray one, Squeaky (aka: Graylie), was lying on a kitchen chair and never moved. Both Squeaky and Midnight at 5 years old. Midnight was across the room and Dodi said he would be making a beeline for the bedroom but he never did. As time passed, he moved a little closer to me. Then he would stay there for a while and proceed a little more into the living room. Eventually he rubbed noses with me and proceeded on into the kitchen.

This was a stressful day—for me and for Mamaw. We got accomplished what she wanted though. In order for me to be “socialized” I am to be around all different dogs and cats and learn the pecking order. Today I found out I was not the important one in either of those homes. Thank God I have Mamaw and Poppy who love me so.

No comments:

Post a Comment